Sunday 25 September 2016

World Pharmacists Day 2016

Image result for world pharmacists day 2016


World Pharmacists Day was the brainchild of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP), with the FIP council voting to establish the event in the late 2000s during a conference they staged in Istanbul, Turkey. The aim of the day is to bring attention to pharmacies and the positive benefits they offer when it comes to health, and FIP encourages all its members to get involved to make the event a success

World Pharmacists Day is held every 25th of September. The theme of this year's celebration is "I Care For You"


Image result for world pharmacists day 2016

Pharmgists wishes all Pharmacists in the word including pharmacists in embryo a happy celebration. We also wish to share a little fictional story on how much a pharmacist cares about your healty. Enjoy

“PLEASE I WANT COUGH SYRUP AND SLEEPING MEDICINE”                    

An obviously distressed BT walked up to the pharmacist.                              

Pharmacist: Good morning ma, how may I be of help?                                       

BT: What is good about this morning? I barely slept all night.

Pharmacist: Very sorry about that ma’am but there is always something to thank God for. Even if it’s just being alive and able to say how you are feeling! It’s a beautiful day, ma.

BT: You are right, dear pharmacist. I got overwhelmed. I have had this troublesome cough for a while now. It’s very distressing. The worst part of it is that it disturbs mostly at night. I hardly sleep. Please recommend a good cough syrup and a sleeping tablet, preferably Valium.

Pharmacist: Did you say the cough is worse at night?

BT: Yes.

Pharmacist: Apart from the cough is there any other matter? Do you feel pain? Any fever?

BT: I guess the pain in my chest is due to the intensity of the cough. No fever, but I feel very weak.

Pharmacist: Are you on any medications?

BT: Oh yes. I take medicines for my BP.

Pharmacist: Would you mind if I check your blood pressure (BP)?

BT: No.

(Pharmacist took BT to the consulting room to measure her BP.)

Pharmacist: Your BP is a little high, despite your being on 3 different antihypertensive drugs. I also noticed your feet are swollen and you are breathing a little fast.

BT: I don’t think you should worry about those. Just give me a good cough syrup and Valium, I will be fine.

Pharmacist: I don’t mean to stress you; but please permit me to ask you one more question. This cough, does it get better when you sit up or prop yourself with more than one pillow?

BT: Exactly! How did you know? It’s annoying. I have to sit up most of the night. Initially, I took it lightly. I thought it would fizzle out in a few days but it’s lingering. Anyway, it’s because I’m not sleeping well. Please give me a good cough syrup and Valium.

Pharmacist: Apart from Valium being a prescription medicine (i.e. you need your doctor’s prescription to get it), this matter seems more than you think. I strongly feel you should see your doctor. I could give you a cough syrup; as you know, there are many of them and I need money but your health first.  I am trained to place your health above my wealth. You need a cardiologist.

BT: That is not possible now because I am on 3-monthly appointments and I still have about 6 weeks to go. You know how it is with government hospitals. Please help me, just give me a cough syrup and any sleeping tablet. I will be fine.

Pharmacist: I could refer you to a private cardiologist.

BT: Private cardiologist? I can’t afford that now. I am a widow and it’s a new school term I have to pay my children’s school fees. Pharmacist, I am very tired.

Having obtained BT’s permission, Pharmacist called the cardiologist who kindly agreed to see BT on humanitarian grounds. The pharmacist has had a longstanding professional relationship with the cardiologist.

The cardiologist, after examining BT confirmed the pharmacist’s fears. BT had congestive heart failure. The cough, swollen feet, tiredness and fast breathing were all symptoms of congestive heart failure. Putting her to sleep or giving her a cough syrup would have worsened her condition. A little more delay could be fatal. She was referred to the teaching hospital same day and had to be admitted. BT spent a month on admission. The pharmacist, characteristically, followed up on BT and got her colleagues in the hospital to support her professionally. The doctors were happy with the pharmacist’s prompt intervention. BT was glad she survived the ordeal while her children thanked God for not allowing them to become orphans prematurely. BT learnt her lessons. She saw a friend in the pharmacist.

Dear reader, self-medication can be very harmful. It is a lot safer to access prompt medical intervention from your trusted healthcare professional. This anecdote is another illustration of how much your pharmacist cares for you. 

We wish you a happy World Pharmacists Day.                                                         

From caring hearts @ the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN).                             

Composed by Folasade Olufunke Lawal FPSN for the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria.

Disclaimer: The character in the above story is fictitious. The story is just an illustration of how much the pharmacist cares.

Have a wondefiul day.

No comments:

Post a Comment